An important English glass Cup or bowl c.1680 from “the Ravenscroft period”; folded rim to the bowl and foot; the lower half of the cup is decorated with “nipt diamond waies” ( an expression which George Ravenscroft used in an advertisement of 1677 for his new lead glass) the top half of the bowl with a Facon de Venise interlocking pattern.
There is a punchbowl of identical style in the Glasgow Museum and several examples in the Corning Museum of Glass. The piece measures 4 inches in height approx. and 4 ½ inches in diameter at the widest part of the bowl.
Provenance : Ex the Robin Wilson collection – collector’s label no. 143.